Asterix the Gaul Series
Asterix is a series of French comics. The series first appeared in the Franco-Belgian comics magazine “Pilote” on 29 October 1959. It was written by René Goscinny and illustrated by Albert Uderzo until the death of Goscinny in 1977. Uderzo then took over the writing until 2009, when he sold the rights to publishing company Hachette. As of 2018, 38 volumes have been released. The albums have also been published in collections of three and six. Official website.
Here is the order of publication and date of the original French strips:
- Asterix the Gaul (1961) 1969
- Asterix and the Golden Sickle (1962) 1975
- Asterix and the Goths (1963) 1974
- Asterix the Gladiator (1964) 1969
- Asterix and the Banquet (1965) 1979
- Asterix and Cleopatra (1965) 1969
- Asterix and the Big Fight (1966) 1974
- Asterix in Britain (1966)
- Asterix and the Normans (1967) 1978
- Asterix the Legionary (1967) 1970
- Asterix and the Chieftain’s Shield (1968) 1977
- Asterix at the Olympic Games (1968)
- Asterix and the Cauldron (1969) 1976
- Asterix in Spain (1969) 1971
- Asterix and the Roman Agent (1970) 1972
- Asterix in Switzerland (1970) 1973
- The Mansions of the Gods (1971) 1973
- Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (1972)
- Asterix and the Soothsayer (1972) 1975
- Asterix in Corsica (1973) 1979
- Asterix and Caesar’s Gift (1974) 1977
- Asterix and the Great Crossing (1975) 1976
- Obelix and Co. (1976) 1978
- Asterix in Belgium (1979) 1980
- Asterix and the Great Divide (1980) 1981
- Asterix and the Black Gold (1981) 1982
- Asterix and Son (1983)
- Asterix and the Magic Carpet (1987) 1988
- How Obelix Fell into the Magic Potion When He Was a Little Boy (1989)
- Asterix and the Secret Weapon (1991)
- Asterix and Obelix all at Sea (1996)
- Asterix and the Actress (2001)
- Asterix and the Class Act (2003)
- Asterix and the Falling Sky (2005)
- Asterix and Obelix’s Birthday (2009)
- Asterix and the Picts (2013)
- Asterix and the Missing Scroll (2015)
- Asterix and the Chariot Race (2017)
Books in the Asterix the Gaul series:
Asterix in Britain (1966)
The Romans have invaded Britain, but one village still holds out. Asterix and Obelix come to help, with a barrel of magic potion in hand.
Asterix at the Olympic Games (1968)
Gluteus Maximus, a Roman legionnaire, is chosen to represent Rome at the Olympics. While training, he encounters Asterix and Obelix, who outdo him thanks to a magic potion.
Asterix and Cleopatra (1969)
Cleopatra Queen of Egypt bets Julius Caesar that her Egyptians can build a palace in Alexandria within three months.
Asterix the Gaul (1969)
The year is 50 BC, and all of Gaul is occupied except for one small village. How much longer can Asterix, Obelix and their friends resist the Roman Empire?
Asterix the Gladiator (1969)
The Romans have captured Cacofonix as a gift for Caesar, who will throw him to the lions. To rescue him, Asterix and Obelix become gladiators themselves.
Asterix the Legionary (1970)
Asterix and Obelix enlist as legionnaires in order to rescue Tragicomix, whom the Romans forcibly conscripted. The two find Tragicomix and succeed in causing the biggest commotion ever on a battlefield.
Asterix in Spain (1971)
When the Romans take Huevos y Bacon’s son hostage, they discover that Little Pepe is a terrible handful. Asterix and Obelix step in to save him.
Chief Vitalstatistix foolishly bet that he can season a stew with Caesar’s laurel wreath. Now Asterix and Obelix must travel to Rome, steal the wreath, and bring it back for the promised dinner.
Asterix and the Roman Agent (1972)
Julius Caesar sends expert troublemaker Tortuous Convolvulus to sow jealousy and discord in the town of Asterix, Obelix and Getafix.
Asterix in Switzerland (1973)
The governor of Gaul has always been a “creative” accountant. Now he’s under investigation—or he was, until someone poisons the investigator.
The Mansions of the Gods (1973)
Caesar decides to civilize Gaul if he can’t civilize the Gauls by building a modern housing development.
Asterix and the Big Fight (1974)
Getaflix needs to make a magic potion of invincibility so Vitalstatistix can defeat Cassius. But a flying menhir hits Getaflix and he no longer remembers how to make his magic potion. Can Asterix help restore Getaflix’s memory?
Asterix and the Goths (1974)
Getaflix has been kidnapped by a band of Goths. So Asterix and Obelix try to save him. But they set off a whole series of tribal wars.
Getafix has broken his golden sickle, so Asterix and Obelix visit Lutetia to buy a new one for him. But the sicklesmith—a cousin of Obelix—has vanished without a trace.
Asterix and the Soothsayer (1975)
A sinister visitor arrives in the little village where Asterix lives. The townsfolk believe every word he says. Only Asterix knows better.
Asterix and the Cauldron (1976)
A Gaulish chief asks Asterix’s village to help guard a cauldron full of money from the Romans. But the sneaky chief steals back the cash while Asterix is standing watch. Can Asterix and Obelix recover the riches?
Asterix and Obelix are lost at sea. They finally reach what they think is a Roman colony. But it turns out to be a New World.
Asterix and Caesar’s Gift (1977)
Tremensdelirius gets the deed to Asterix’s little village. But he foolishly trades it for a drink in the tavern.
Julius Caesar wants to parade with the shield of his adversary Vercingetorix. But where is it? Will Caesar or Asterix and his friends find it first?